As summer draws to a close in the next few weeks, we can only look back in awe at the amount of days we needed to rely on our air conditioning systems and home electrical devices. It can’t be stated enough how important our energy grid is for the safety and comfort of our local residents, and the more we can save on energy, the better off everyone will be.
So, what can someone at home do to improve their energy efficiency? What does energy efficiency even mean?
This is what we seek to answer in this blog post. Being more energy efficient, especially in how you run your air conditioning in Gastonia, NC, is going to make a huge difference for you, your budget, and your local environment. Efficiency is 2023’s hottest topic, and we’re going to cover it in great detail so our customers are prepared for future industry-wide changes.
What Is Energy Efficiency?
First, let’s talk about what energy efficiency actually is. Nobody is trying to argue that we should use fewer electrical devices, because we practically depend on these devices in our everyday lives. Our phones, our computers, and even our lights are necessary to live normally. Things just aren’t what they used to be even a few decades ago.
However, the argument being made by local legislatures, HVAC industry professionals, and even environmental activists is that we should use less energy with the same devices we have. This is what energy efficiency is, the ability to use less energy with no consequences to your comfort or health.
Tips for Better Efficiency
Now let’s get to the good stuff. How does one live their life more efficiently? Here are just a few ways to start.
- Eliminate energy waste. This is a simple one. Are you running your dryer with only a few clothes in it? Or perhaps you’re leaving the coffee pot on all day for instant access to hot coffee? Well, these might be convenient, but they waste a lot of energy. Try to only use energy when you need to, and maximize the benefits you get from loads of laundry or the systems you use.
- Set your thermostat to a mild temperature. Even raising the temperature by a couple of degrees on a hot day can mean your air conditioner runs much more efficiently on a regular basis. It will consume less energy, run less, and overall have less wear and tear in the future.
- Invest in AC maintenance. AC maintenance on a yearly basis is proven to reduce energy waste and improve the efficiency of your air conditioning technology.
- Shut off devices when not in use. Remember to turn off lights when you go to bed or leave the house, and ensure that devices (aside from your HVAC system) aren’t running when you’re not using them.
- Make necessary upgrades for your power grid. Why not invest in solar panels? These can cut down on your energy cost substantially, and even supply some of the most energy-intensive systems with power for the next two decades!
At Rye Heating and Air Conditioning, making your day better is what we do best. Schedule a maintenance appointment today, or call with any other questions you might have about efficiency.